Pages


Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Magic Is In The Movement

Wow over 2mths since my last post and I have no idea where time has gone. I have had this post rolling around in my head for a few weeks though so tonight am finally making time to get it out there.

A lot has happened over the last little while, and mostly these happenings have been exciting, challenging, terrifying and amazing all at once. Where to start........

Well I guess with the biggest change and most exciting. In early June I attended a CrossFit Level 1 Seminar in an attempt to become a CrossFit coach. It's been something I have wanted to do for about a year, but in the back of my mind never really thought I could or would do it. I have a certain perception of coaches and all of my coaches I see as elite athletes in some form or another. I look up to them as highly skilled individuals who are confident & capable.  I certainly never see myself in that light when it comes to CrossFit. I am hardly elite and there are many, many skills which I am not yet proficient in.



However I was encouraged to do the course after numerous conversations with some of my favourite coaches and friends. I doubted how I would possibly have credibility in the box standing up in front of a class, expecting them to do things far better than I ever could. Who would listen to me? Once excellent example that was given to me was the fact a good coach is not someone who can do every single movement, but one who can teach the movement effectively, afterall the guy who coaches Tiger Woods probably can't beat him at golf, but he is able to teach Tiger in the movements he needs to improve.

So with that thought in mind I trundled off to the seminar. I was very apprehensive as I arrived as I guess I have that level of self conscious about my physical capabilities. I knew in the back of my mind I had the theoretic principles of the movements down and I knew that I can see movement patterns in others clearly and be able to rectify them. But the physical aspect of the course and what the other participants would be like was making me highly anxious.

There is a quote from CrossFit CEO & Founder Greg Glassman that I came to really appreciate during the seminar;

"The magic is in the movement, the art is in the programming, the science is in the explanation, and the fun is in the community"

It's a quote I have heard before but one I truly appreciated after studying movements in detail over 2 days.  I came to view the Squat as a thing of beauty when performed well, rather than something I once dreaded. Such a core foundational movement in everyday life, but one which done correctly can benefit so many areas in physical life.  The magic is indeed in the movement.  Yes I still battle with my squat but in those moments when it comes together there is no better feeling. Also nothing beats the feeling of correcting a clients squat and seeing them able to move far better.

Overall I found the 2 day course rewarding and challenging and some aspects quite confronting & very outside my comfort zone.  At the end of the 2 days you are required to sit an exam before you get your trainer certificate if you pass.  I have never wanted so much to pass an exam.  It took 2 weeks for the results to hit my inbox and I was over the moon to read that yes I had passed.  I was finally a CrossFit Coach. Couldn't quite believe it.

I started this blog almost 2 years ago now to detail as I worked to become a better CrossFit athlete. To show others who were a little scared to try it that if I could do this stuff than it truly was for anyone. I was and still am incredibly passionate about this sport and the community which it creates.  Now I find I am working my way to still becoming a better athlete but now also the best coach I can be.  I still have goals and aspirations as a CrossFit athlete, and also strongman athlete. I will always seek a competitive outlet.

The other exciting thing that happened was being offered a role as part of the coaching team at CrossFit North Lakes.  To be involved with such a great team of coaches it such a privilege and to be part of helping our athletes develop & improve is so exciting. It's an opportunity I never take forgranted and love every moment of it.

I find coaching so rewarding and exciting, even though I am still finding my feet and gaining my belief and confidence. Had someone told me at the start of last year when I had pretty much bottomed out that this is where I would be now I would have laughed in their face.   To not only be running my own successful PT business but also having the opportunity to be a CrossFit coach and live out 2 dreams was just beyond what I could comprehend.

There are some people all throughout the last 18mths that have had unwavering belief in me. Some have come into my life at various points but always at the exact moment I needed them to guide me. I am forever grateful to them.

Even though there are events that happened that irreovably changed who I am and how I view things and that time was very difficult, without all that none of this would have happened.  I guess it's all about perspective.



So I can't wait to see where this next part of My CrossFit Journey takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment